Monday, March 26, 2012

Ventura Ventura Ventura






I wish there was a way that you could see this view this morning the ocean and air is so clear...you can see the islands (channel islands) SO SO CLEAR! I love love love Ventura. So first I guess I will tell you about the pictures I am uploading. The first is of the girls in my district (last transfer) and our cool st.patrick's day bows. The second is from Hna Dalton's last p-day we walked on this walk way kinda near the beach. The third is a picture of us in a spanish neighborhood with a street sign..the sign means "you can do it!"..basically. Then there is a picture of me and a family we are teaching, then a family who feeds all the spanish missionaries frequently. Love it. I dont have a picture of me and my new companion just yet but Ill send one next week.

So I hope all is well, Im sure you are all very busy today or this week and thats why I didnt hear from you, its all good no stress I understand. Life gets super crazy.

So this week has just been great. So much cool stuff has happened.

Oh first I guess a crazy thing. Monday night (sister Daltons last night) we had an appointment with some of our investigators, we started walking up to the house and we noticed that there was a cop car in front of the house. As we were about to leave we saw our investigator getting led to the cop car in handcuffs. Awkward.

So the first day I had Hermana Vasquez with me was tuesday, Sister Dalton came out with us for one last appointment and then we were on our own. We had lots of appointments but for like an hour and a half we didnt have appointments and so we had planned to go by Bro Allen's house because he said we should visit his granddaughter who is now living with him. So we went to his house and he was home but no one else so we couldnt come in. Normally we are off because we want to find people but for some reason I asked him if I could have a glass a water, he went in, got one and we drank and talked to him a little bit, right as we finished and were about to leave she showed up!!! So we came in first Bro Allen wanted to show us a room he fixed up...he told me that building is his trade and I told him "oh my dad was a building inspector in Las Vegas" he said NO WAY! I built in Las Vegas for 14 years. Crazy. Anyway so we go to talk to Betsy his granddaughter WHO grew up in Las Vegas and went to Palo Verde. Super cool huh? Anyway so we started and taught her about the Restoration and she accepted to be baptized!!! We had another appointment later on with her that week and explained a little more about the Book of Mormon she told us that she is really searching for the truth for her son because she wants him to have the best., she would have came to church on sunday (she even bought a dress) but she has a 2 week old baby and it was pouring rain and freezing, BUT we are super excited. I also KNOW it was inspiration to ask for water. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost


Then about 2 weeks ago a member that we were going to have dinner with called us and told us that she had a non member friend that would be joining us for dinner. So we had that appointment this week. First I wont lie it was a little awkward, she is this cute old lady who lives in a senior citizen mobile home park with her senior friend and then this like 40 year old man and us. Haha. So we start talking and he was talking about bullying and some movie that was out that talked about bullying and I was going through my head thinking how we could turn this convo to the gospel (Sister Dalton if you are reading this you would laugh)...so I was going through my head and the first thing that came out was like "Yeah and for that reason and I am so grateful for growing up learning about being a child of God and my divine nature"...that just kind of got brushed over...so then they contiued to talk about the effects of bullying and finally I remembered the story in Mosiah 24 where Alma and his people are living out in the wilderness because they have been rejected by their people for believeing in God. So they are out there minding their own business when Amulon and a little army come out, put them into slavery and tell them that if they pray they will kill them. Then they pray in their minds for help from the Lord. he then asks me "is that a true story?"...and I was like YEAH! Its in the Book of Mormon which was written about 600 years before Jesus Christ. Oh man...I was trying. Anyway we were able to teach the Restoration and he was so excited to read the Book of Mormon and then Sister Black invited him to take the lessons in her home and he accepted!!!

I decided Easter candy is the best. So many fun stuff....HAPPY EASTER..its so soon. I love easter and I am so excited for general conference and how it will help us prepare for celebrating the resurrection of our Lord.

We had a booth and the swap meet and it went over really well. We were able to talk to so many spanish people and share the gospel. We totally have to visit it when we come back to visit. So Mexico-ish. Oh and a American man was talking to me and he asked me if I was mexican...i was like no..why? and he was like oh you just sound like it. hahahaha. YES!!!!

Oh we had a great lesson with Andres and his family about the plan of salvation they were so excited about going to the temple as a family and I know Andres is getting more and more excited about his baptism. He was smiling so big as we told him "a year after you get baptized you will be able to go here with your family". Afterwards they were all hugging eachother and it was so beautiful. The gospel BLESSES FAMILIES!

Another thing that happened....and I cant remember if its a scripture or a quote from a general authority but I can just hear Elder Holland saying it in my head but it goes something like "as you stand in hostile venues"...something like that. Yesterday we went to visit one of our investigators and she was having a birthday party for her son and had a ton of friends over. She invited us in for a second and her friends all just started bashing us as we were standing there in the midst of them. We decided to just sing a song for them and we choose to sing I know my redeemer lives. The spirit was so strong and afterwards we bore strong testimony that Jesus is the Christ,the Savior of the world. It was so awesome. I am so grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost!

Lots of great stuff is going on here there just isnt much time to write about it all! But I also had an idea that maybe we could start today. We can read the Book of Mormon as a family you all, jed chrissy jaden, jamie jeff brandon kendall ryanne erika, dave lisa and millie, and if we all read 5 pages a day we will be finished on the day I get home. I think that would be a really great thing for our family and it will strengthen our own personal testimonies and bring us closer as a family and we can share in emails and letters verses that we liked a lot. Will you do that?


LOVE YOU ALL! HERMANA TIPPETTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment