Monday, May 23, 2011

"love at first sight"

Hola familia! Como estan? All is well here in good ol Oxnard California! Sometimes I can barely believe that I'm a missionary but then sometimes I'll be talking to someone on the street and it'll hit me....I'm in California...speaking to this person who I don't know about the gospel...IN SPANISH. I'm speaking spanish. Haha. I guess I'm kinda slow sometimes but its awesome.

Anyway! It sounds like you all had a good week getting to drive up to Utah and all. We had a strawberry festival here this weekend so of course it reminded me of peach days (speaking of strawberries go watch the mary kate and ashley movie when they go on a road trip because it mentions oxnard and thats the whole reason I knew it exsisted before the mission haha)

So again I put a little sticky note in my agenda today to write random stuff down so I would remember to tell you stuff. So here comes the randomness of my week...
1.So we are knocking this street called Terrace. Its a street HIGHLY populated with Spanish people. TONS of apartments so we have been knocking it for a while. So one day we knock on this door and start speaking to the guy and he was like I dont speak spanish...so we started speaking to him in English about our message...and he was just like..."No....no....I cant...No...I dont like to bother Jesus...dont you know he's sleeping????" and we were like "ummm what religion are you?"...and he was like "I'm Catholic"..and we were like ok.....Then we just offered him a card and he was like "yeahhh when we sleep he sleeps and when we drink he drinks" and then he closed the door. So then we start knocking on his neighbors door and he opens the door again and says pretty loud "Jesus is drunk right now!!!!" Weird people...

2. So same street a day later we were knocking before our dinner appointment which happened to be on the same street. Well we had just finished up and the Elders drive up. So we started walking and talking with them to our dinner appointment. Well we knock on the door and a stranger answered and the Elders introduced themselves and from where we were standing we could see into the house and we noticed it was a house we knocked the day before so we start offering him the gospel, and the Elders are looking at us weird and the guy is just smiling and Im trying hard not to laugh...anyway the guy finally was like "didnt you guys come by yesterday?". Hahaha. It was pretty funny.

3.We have one investigator that the stairwell up to his apartment smells just like "The Pirates of the Caribbean" ride....

4. I don't know if you all heard about this but apparently the world was suppose to end Saturday at 6?? IDK but that whole day people kept asking us about it and we were like ummm? What? The Bible says that no one knows..It was a weird day.

5. I have been studying about the Spirit and how to recognize it in Preach My Gospel. It is such an awesome chapter and at the end of the chapter it has some application things we can do. So I was reading them and one of the suggestions was to write about times we have felt the Spirit. One of the situations was when you just loved someone, and it hit me that I totally feel that way all the time and it really is a gift from the Spirit. Especially when I first got here and really couldn't understand much I still just loved everyone SO MUCH. hah, and then we have this investigator Maria who we found knocking and I just loved her from the very get go. Shes amazing. She told us in our last appointment that she had been praying for help and we showed up talking about the Family. She prayed for us...we showed up...shes taking the steps to progress...Its SOOO awesome. I can't even explain.

Yeah..thats pretty much my week. Being a missionary is so awesome. The Book of Mormon is amazing, we should read it EVERY single day. Its true and with out it we have nothing. Reading it will make every thing we do better.

Next weeks are transfers and there is a possibility that I will move...I don't think so, but I will let you know next week. But it doesn't really matter since we use the mission address stuff will still get to me and I'll still be able to email next week!

I love you all so much, tell the girls happy birthday for me!!

Hermana Tippetts

No comments:

Post a Comment